Benjamin RICHARDSON and Ellen HOLT are two of my 4th-great-grandparents on my dad's side. This is the public debut of my officially claiming them as ancestors. Prior to this week, I have had them in my database with the middle names of "UNPROVEN." No, I haven't written my proof statement yet, but I really think there's enough to go on finally… and having a folder in which to put it all while I work on the statement is a good thing, right? Then, the proof statement can be a new post!
This folder is in pretty good shape because there were only a few things in it:
- two maps of the Estill County area of Kentucky
- a FHL film note for a film on Estill County wills
- copies of 3 email conversations with Richardson expert, cousin DR on Benjamin
- placeholder copies of p.1 of about six websites with pedigrees including early Richardsons.
- Write proof statement, including DNA evidence, on Benjamin & Ellen being the parents of the Amos Richardson who married Elizabeth (Betsey) HICKS.
- Review evidence/sources DR already has collected on the couple and enter into my database.
- Figure out what other early records exist that might help document Benjamin and Ellen.
- Track all of their children for at least 2 generations of descendants, which should further strengthen the DNA evidence.
Line of Descent
Benjamin RICHARDSON = Ellen HOLT
Amos RICHARDSON = Elizabeth (Betsey) HICKS
John D. RICHARDSON = Isabella SHAW
Charles HEGWER = Margaret Lavinia RICHARDSON
Benjamin Theodore HEGWER = Bertha Maud CARR, my paternal grandparents
I still think it's important to revisit folders/couples every so often, if only to see if there's anything to be done to make more room in the file drawer. I hope my renewed resolve lasts…! I know I cheated a bit by picking this folder, but it stills feels good to be posting again.